History of FBCO
1950'sThe First Baptist Church of O'Fallon, Missouri began as a mission of the First Baptist Church of Winfield, Missouri. On September 5, 1956, the Winfield church voted to purchase 1.47 acres located along U.S. Highway 40 in O'Fallon. On November 10, 1956, the church voted to rent a concrete block building to use as the mission building. Later the building and the land were purchased by the church. On March 3, 1957, the mission church opened its doors for the first worship service. Rev. George Hoech, pastor of the Winfield Baptist Church, brought the morning sermon with a total fo 32 people attending the 9:30 a.m. worship service. Rev. Hoech and friends from Winfield made the trip back and forth twice each Sunday and again on Wednesdays to help us get started. We even had Vacation Bible School that first summer. Rev. Hoech served until December 1957, when Rev. Ward Lawrence was called as the mission pastor. On September 14, 1958, the newly organized church became accepted as the First Baptist Church of O'Fallon, Missouri. We became affiliated with the Cuivre Baptist Association, the Missouri Baptist Convention, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
1960'sIn October 1964, Cecil King was called and assumed full-time pastoral duties. FBCO was led to begin a mission church, which in September 1971, became the Calvary Baptist Church in O'Fallon, Missouri.
1970'sFollowing Rev. King as pastor, Rev. Bill Betts was called as full-time pastor in December 1977. During these years the church built the west wing of the present building to house the increasing membership. Further growth brought an addition to that building.
1980'sEaster Sunday, April 10, 1987 the first Sunday morning worship service was held in the present auditorium. Rev. Bill Betts served as pastor until spring of 1989. At this time Rev. Bual Bales served as interim pastor until Rev. Dr. Gary Taylor came as full-time pastor in July of 1990. Dual LIFE Groups classes were begun on October 7, 1990.
1990'sIn 1992, due to our increasing membership and the need for additional nursery space, the church voted to move the church offices off-site to Ft. Zumwalt Square. They remained off-site until September of 1996 when our new educational building was completed. At the end of 1996 our total membership was 2,474.
2000'sIn 2002 we purchased the church property next door (O'Fallon Church of Christ) and began using the facility in September of that year. Following the tenure of Dr. Gary Taylor, Dr. Richard Young was called as pastor in 2009. A visual update and technical remodel of the Worship Center was completed in 2011.
In a small town of 700+ citizens to the fastest growing city in Missouri with more than 70,000 population, O'Fallon has transformed significantly. Since those early days with a worship attendance of 32 to an average attendance nearing 1000, FBCO continues to shine the light of Christ in the midst of our growing community. The real growth behind all these numerical statistics, however, cannot be so easily calculated. This congregation has experienced extraordinary growth in faith, grace and spiritual depth. Without question, the source of all the growth is Jesus Christ (Matthew 16:18), the founder and builder of His church!